Adult Sunday School
EDUCATION for EXALTATION
OUR MISSION: We exist to Glorify God by enjoying Him, as we Grow in maturity in Jesus Christ and Go in the power of the Holy Spirit with the message of the Gospel to all peoples.
WHAT: We want all of us to be well educated in the Scriptures, so that we can better exalt the Christ of Scripture. We offer Adult Sunday School classes, giving everyone the opportunity to grow in their knowledge of God and Christ through his Word, so that we can worship him with greater intensity, obey him more faithfully, and serve him more passionately.
WHY: There are several reasons why education for exaltation is necessary:
1) Because we love God’s Redemptive work. Great are the works of the LORD, studied by all who delight in them.
Full of splendor and majesty is his work, and his righteousness endures forever. He has caused his wondrous works to be remembered; the LORD is gracious and merciful. (Psalms 111:2–4)
2) Through teaching we will fulfill our mission statement. We can only glorify God to the extent that we know him well. Moreover, growth in Christ cannot be separated from knowledge. According to the Scripture, we are transformed into greater Christlikeness when we see the glory of Christ and our minds are renewed through his word.
And the LORD appeared again at Shiloh, for the LORD revealed himself to Samuel at Shiloh by the word of the LORD. (1 Sam 3:21)
And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit. (2 Cor 3:18)
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (Rom 12:1–2)
3) The primary way we disciple believers unto maturity is through teaching them the Word of God.
Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ (Col 1:28; cf. 4:12).
Yet among the mature we do impart wisdom, although it is not a wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are doomed to pass away. But we impart a secret and hidden wisdom of God, which God decreed before the ages for our glory (1 Cor 2:6–7).
4) God has blessed us with several gifted teachers to equip his people. Education for exaltation will give them opportunities to exercise their spiritual gifts and possibly disciple others to teach.
And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes (Eph 4:11–14).
Adult Classes 1/26/20-5/3/20
Sunday 8:45-9:50 a.m.
- Class 1: Knowing and Studying Scripture – The Doctrine of the Word of God and How to Study the Bible.
- Class 2: Equipped to Counsel: Counseling at Jubilee.